[ale] Fedora grousing

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 08:49:44 EDT 2013

Jim,

Last year at SELF, i corner the guy that created the installer and
told him what a piece of shite it it. I was told under no term it
would change, that I wanted to custom my install to use kick start.
When I try to explain that mom and dad that want to try to install
Linux don't have kickstart.

When I point out that try to just find the partition tool was a
nightmare. I was told I being unreasonable, I asked how, not every one
wants their hard drive wiped and replaced, and that just maybe, I like
to set my sizes. I was told that this is the future. We talked until
this person got so mad that he walked away. I was pissed (sorry), the
guys at the fedora table told to file a bug that might help.

I didn't like the move move from bin and sbin to /usr/ that I can't
create a separate /usr partition any more.

Anyway, I am just sadden the direction they are going too.

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 8:16 AM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh look, someone else that doesn't like the F18 installer --
> https://plus.google.com/u/0/102150693225130002912/posts/GqUgcYcfQuV
>
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 8:10 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Chuck et al,
>>
>> As a   l o n g   time red hat then fedora user, I thought the new installer
>> in fedora 18 was bad implementation of a decent but unpolished idea.
>> I think philosophically the idea is to make it so a total newbie could get a
>> working install. But it was done at the expense of all the experienced
>> users.
>> The partitioning tool is nearly useless. It allows ZERO control over mdraid
>> partitions. It's really only useful for making a simple desktop.
>> The package selection is crippled as well. Again simplicity trumps
>> functionality.
>> I suspect RHEL will fork anaconda out of need.
>> Kickstart is a great tool but it's for very advanced users not just average
>> users or even many pro admins will find it in their bag of tricks. Add to it
>> the commands change a bit with every release and it's a recipe for rollout
>> headaches. And it's got bugs. The command clearpart --all doesn't support
>> the --ondisk= flag so it only wipes sda. That fails for a 4 disk box being
>> repurposed! I had to manually zero out partition tables on all drives before
>> pxe booting kickstart of F19. And the current anaconda only understands raid
>> 1 with 2 partitions. A 3 or 4 will lock it up (spits dots on the screen and
>> hangs).
>>
>> Sadly, it looks like Fedora is taking the path of decreasing flexibility to
>> increase ease of use without providing a means to support the familiar
>> extensive customizations. If it's an attempt to gain users by lowering the
>> bar for user skill, I strongly disagree. Winders and sMac are perfect for
>> the clueless masses. I don't want throngs of mentally lazy newbies using
>> sophisticated and dangerously powerful tools like Linux. Granted, Fedora
>> ships with all services off and selinux on full enforcing so it's quite
>> secure. But for noobs, that security is hidden from view and thus more
>> computer magic.
>> </rant>

> James Sumners
> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>
> "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts
> pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it
> is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become
> drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>
> Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
> CH:D 59

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 7-9, 2013 in Charlotte, NC.
www.southeastlinuxfest.org