[ale] Filed De-duplication

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Fri Oct 18 17:00:23 EDT 2013

When I was running a previous employer's file server (that I built on
Gentoo, btw, referencing the other thread), I would pipe find output to
xargs to md5sum to sort so that I could get a text file that I could
visually eyeball to see where the dupes tended to be.  In my view it
wasn't a big deal until you had, like, ISO images that a dozen or more
people had copies of - if that's going on, there needs to be some
housecleaning and organization taking place.  I suppose if you wanted
you could script something that moved dupes to a common area and
generated links in place of the dupes, but I'm not sure if that doesn't
introduce more problems than it solves.

As for auto-de-duping filesystems - which I suppose involves some sort
of abstraction between what the OS thinks are files and what actually
goes on disk - I wonder if there wouldn't wind up being some rather
casual disk operations that could set off a whole flurry of r/w activity
and plug up the works for a little while. Fun to experiment with, I'm sure.