[ale] Video problems

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Thu Oct 17 07:51:01 EDT 2013

Returning the channel to a Linux technical question, I have a Centos 6
system running on a fairly late model ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P5KPL-VM
Motherboard.  It has an Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics
Controller.  The monitor is a 19" Hanns G with native resolution of 1440
x 900 at 60 hz.  It looks crappy.  I was running it at 1024  x 768 and
it looked crappy but it wouldn't go above that without some
encouragment.  So I did a cvt 1440 900 and got a mode line, which I used
with xrandr to increase the resolution, thinking it was because the
monitor wasn't running in native mode.  It still looks crappy.  It's a
bit hard to describe, but there these "artifacts" that are very
indistinct.  They look a bit like smears. Vertical lines, appear to have
multiple images to the right each one getting more indistinct and fading
out after a while.   I keep cleaning my glasses to try to fix it.  Text
just isn't clean and distinct.  It's not exactly blurry either.  It's
hard to explain.

So is there a software fix?  Do I replace the monitor?  the computer?
get a decent video card?  This is more or less a server that gets put
into desk top duty to program an Arduino sometimes.

Thanks,
Jim.