[ale] Ale subscribers

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Tue Oct 15 18:13:51 EDT 2013

On 10/15/2013 05:54 PM, Aaron Ruscetta wrote:
> I also strongly disapprove of any content censorship or "rules",
> especially when those are set by a single person who would assume
> they can be the DICTATOR  simply because they are presently the
> moderator. If the you don't want to moderate the list because you can't
> be the DICTATOR, then step aside.  It you want to be an equitable
> moderator, then call for democratic input on what courtesies should
> be expected here or step aside and invite someone else to volunteer
> who would maintain the list in an equitable and democrative manner.
>
> My view is ALE is a mirror of the anarchy, meritocracy and community
> ideals that created and sustain the Open Source Software movement.
> As a long time contributor to this group, I believe it is the responsibility
> of supporting volunteers and the expectation for participating members
> to respect those ideals.  This means that anyone in a moderator role
> should moderate our resources with moderation.

I do not believe that the action /was/ unilaterally taken, but that
would be solely based on knowing Jim.  Indeed taking, well, Jim into
consideration, I'd have to assume there is some quite rational cause
provoked outside of the list itself.

I, for one, do agree that the central Linux list should be, well, about
Linux.  Not Microsoft Windows, not what I ate for breakfast, and so forth.

I, personally, feel much more motivated to post knowing that the
environment is /expected/ to be on-topic.

I also have no objections to meta discussion, e.g., discussion about the
list itself.  I would expect that to be quite on-topic.

Furthermore, having been an active reader and not always (and less and
less) a participant in the list, I am honestly surprised that it did not
happen sooner.  I don't know about anyone else, but I got sick of
reading about Windows in a list not about that, and especially not
discussing e.g., the integration of (either Windows with a Linux network
or Linux with a Windows network).  I find posts about non-Linux-related
Microsoft software totally irrelevant and off-putting---at least, on
/this/ list.  I also did not appreciate the times where I had to
essentially ignore the list because I didn't have the bloody time or
resources to figure out what was blather and what was something I could
usefully contribute to.

Perhaps your post would have been a little more useful if it were to
offer constructive criticism, instead of quite unnecessary---and wholly
out of context, though again I base that on the aforementioned
assumptions I am making---damnation.

Perhaps you'd move for the creation of ale-admin, intended for the
discussion of consensus related to admin issues?  Though I think for the
size of the current volunteer pool that might be a smidge overburdenous
and thus unfair.

The list administrator---at least on other lists that I'm on, many of
which are F/OSS lists---is empowered with the /responsibility/ of
maintaining the list,*including stepping in when the shit hits the
fan.*  I'd argue that includes the technical aspects of moderation as
well as intervention on the list when it gets out of hand.  That's what
the bloody admin is /for/ on any list.

And honestly?  He was far more patient than I would have been.  /*By
leaps and bloody bounds.*/ But that is why I would never volunteer for a
position such as that.

    --- Mike

--
Naunet Corporation Logo 	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
FAX: (678) 783-7843