[ale] Yea!! Android emulator working after 1/2 hr hair pulling

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Oct 14 21:02:43 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I now have the android emulator working with a nexus 10 image inside my
vm.  It's slow but usable for my purposes.  I thought using an atom x86
image would speed up the emulator, but arm appears to be faster.

If I do not select use host gpu, it appears to use only one of the
vcpu's available.  If I do select use host gpu, it appears to drive all
vcpu's close to maximum.  However, in so doing, it looks like I give up
the ability to use snapshots.  Is there a way around that?

For whatever reason, I have two problems I'm hoping someone can help me
with.

1) The emulated tablet locks up on shutdown.  I've googled it some and
tried some options for killing audio on the emulator, but so far no
success.  Has anyone had experience with that and do you know how to fix
it?  Once this happens, the only choice I have (that I've found) is to
delete and rebuild the AVD.

2) Even though this is a nexus 10 image, there is no google play store
on it, or any app store as far as I can tell.  Can anyone tell me how to
get google play on to the emulated tablet?

Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ron