[ale] mint 13 vm running out of storage space

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Mon Oct 14 12:29:26 EDT 2013

On 10/14/2013 11:43 AM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Those include:
>
> * running my scanner

Check out SANE.  If your scanner doesn't work with SANE becuase there is
no driver for it, change your scanner out for a new one.  List your old
one on eBay, and get one that has a driver for SANE instead.

> * running my remote wireless weather station

I don't see why that wouldn't be possible with Linux.  Linux and
wireless applications go hand-in-hand together.

> * remote controlling my Dad's windows box

I remote control Windows boxes all the time.  No, I don't have Windows
installed.  I do it from Fedora.

> * printing to my brother laser printer - generally works, sometimes garbles pages

Brother laser printers are notoriously stupid.  Many of them do not
speak standard languages.

If you want to acquire a printer that speaks a standard PDL and can be
used by (literally!) every operating system in existence (and has
existed for the past 20 or 30 years), get a PostScript printer.  Most
Lexmark laser printers speak PostScript.  Many HP printers do, as well.
PCL works just as well in many circumstances, so if you have a PCL
printer but not a PostScript printer, that'll work too.

> * running foxit pdf reader - only a very old version is available for linux

So?  Use evince.  Or xpdf.  Or even Adobe Reader 9.  PDF support is just
fine.

> * playing blu ray discs - linux cannot

It can't?  That's news to me.  I do it on my Fedora system.

> * multiple monitor setup - I have a triple monitor setup.  I don't think Mint 13 or Ubuntu 12.04 can run three monitors at all, except in clone mode.  In extended desktop mode, with two monitors, it consistently assigns the wrong monitor as "primary".  Thus new apps start up on the wrong monitor, etc.  I spent 2 hours messing with x commands and xrander, etc. to fix that one time.  Then, a later update unfixed it.  In some cases, when running on different pc's through a kvm, the wrong screen resolution is detected, and enforced.

Uhm... Multiple-head support Just Works with 2 or 3 heads since about
Fedora 18, and has worked upstream even longer than that.  I do it on my
system.
> * running flash - I think Adobe stopped updating flash for linux, which is a security risk.

So?  Mitigate with knowledge, or don't use it at all.  I don't use it at
all.  I miss nothing.

> * running scrivner - a writers program for storyboarding and constructing novels, etc.

There are alternative programs available, but have you attempted to run
this program under Wine?

> * running the metatrader currency trading program (whenever I can find money to trade with)

Again, have you tried Wine for this program?

> * updating my gps

Why not?  I've updated TomTom units without Microsoft Windows just
fine.  You have to jump through a couple more hoops because they don't
document how to do so manually, but it's not hard to figure out.

> * updating my mp3 player from sansa

Never worked with one.

> * updating my ebook readers

Not sure why you need a computer to do that at all.

> I will also admit that, sometimes, linux can do things for me that W cannot.

Interesting that there is no list for that.

    --- Mike

--
Naunet Corporation Logo 	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
FAX: (678) 783-7843