[ale] Yea!! Android emulator working after 1/2 hr hair pulling

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sun Oct 13 23:35:45 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Yea!!  The mint vm is finally working as described in another thread.

And, the android emulator is finally working in the vm.

However, I spent about 1/2 hour of almost literally pulling my hair out
and literally sometimes screaming at the pc.

I downloaded the adt package as instructed.  I ran eclipse as
instructed.  I created an AVD (android virtual device?) as instructed.

But, every time I started the emulator, it failed and said the emulator
executable was not found.

I went into a terminal.  I listed the files.  I set their executable
bits, again.  I executed the emulator from the command line.

File not found.  More screaming.  It's RIGHT STINKING THERE in front of me.

Finally, I googled around and found, OH YEA, you have to execute THIS on
Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit and Mint 13 64 bit (I have the latter).

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

It installed about 100 things of which I know not.

Now the emulator works just fine.

Here's my first emulated android tablet.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9879631/androd-vm-initial.png

It IS slow.  It takes about 3 minutes to boot and about 1 second to
respond to a click.  But I can test procedures and take screen shots.

Tomorrow, I'll change the processor type from arm to x86 and boost the
tablet ram to see if that helps.  I'll also try to hook the virtual
tablet up to the google play store.

This process has been a lot harder than I thought it would be.  You
gotta know the right magic spells.

Here's a good write up on getting the ADT working.

http://ridz1ba.blogspot.com/2012/12/google-android-adt-on-linux-mint-13-maya.html

That is ALL I can take tonight.  I'm going to watch Star Trek - The
Voyage Home and go to bed.

Sincerely,

Ron