[ale] firefox window icon missing

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sun Oct 13 11:40:47 EDT 2013

Hi James, and all,

It was indeed an element of the theme.  I couldn't figure out how to install new themes.

I went to the appearance panel in Mate, clicked themes, clicked install theme, and it asks for a file.  I didn't have a file.

I click the link that says find online, and it takes me to

http://art.gnome.org/

Another option is

http://gnome-look.org/

I googled for hours trying to find out how to do this.  Finally, I found a video demo on youtube.  So, when you're trying to solve a problem, don't forget youtube as a resource.

So, you look around and find a theme you like.  Mate is based on Gnome 2, so look for gtk 2x files if you're given a choice.

Then you download the file.

Make a folder to save it in, such as themes, in your home directory.

The file name may end in .tar.gz or .tar.bz2, which is a packed file.

Now, here's where I got confused.

I tried to unpack the file, then install things from inside it.  This doesn't work.

You go to the appearance panel, select theme, select install, and select this file directly.  Then it should install.

Hope this helps anyone using mate as your desktop.

Sincerely,

Ron