[ale] Please stop spamming the list (Was: Re: researcher develops new secure login procedure)

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Oct 11 15:31:47 EDT 2013

Chris Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:

>On 10/11/2013 12:53 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>>
>> So, from this list, you can clearly see three things.  A) This list
>> has plenty of OT content, whether I'm contributing or not.  B) most
>of
>> the OT messages are flagged as OT, including those by me.  C) Some
>> people who post OT messages, including you and me and others, don't
>> mark the message OT some of the time.
>
>The signal to noise ratio sucks.
>
>Occasional OT is fine, but what about pure Linux related stuff that is
>_VERY_ technical in nature.  Or lt least more technical than an install
>
>of Ubuntu and what you see on the screen and what you click on the
>screen.

Let's ask and answer the question as to why people are on THIS list, as opposed to the thousands of others you might find.  I can only speak for myself.  When I need info, I try to get help from the group.  When I have useful info, I try to share it.

The main reason I'm here, believe it or not, is to learn about Linux.  Years ago, I had tried SUSE and gave up on it and was tinkering with Ubuntu 8.xx (probably).  I needed help with it periodically, so I googled atlanta linux group or something similar and found this group.

I've had loads of not so much fun trying to get xrander to cooperate with my multi monitor setup, learning how to use badblocks to check the state of a hard drive, or setting up those automated temperature monitoring scripts I did not long ago.  In those cases, the specific technical advice I received from this group was invaluable.  So, of course, you'd hope that the Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts group can provide advice on Linux.

The secondary reason I'm here is to learn about non Linux specific, but computer specific topics.  What's the best way to do backups, how does usb3 compare to esata, how do you flash the bios on xyz mb, etc.

The tertiary reason I'm here is to learn about off topic things that this group either has knowledge of or is interested in.  Through you guys and some gals, I've been able to save money on eye glasses, better manage my car repairs, learn about geocaching, better maintain my pc's, learn about programming and languages, learn about eliminating insects, learn about led light bulbs, etc.  Most of these things have had tangible positive effects in my life, and I'm very glad to have learned those things.

So, yes, you definitely want to be able to turn to the Linux group to answer questions on Linux.  But, we all have diverse interests and experience.  I think it's good to be able to discuss those things too.

Sincerely,

Ron