[ale] Free video editing software?

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Thu Oct 10 01:05:21 EDT 2013

I'm looking for some free software that will allow me to "chop up" a .wmv file.  For example, if the file is 30 minutes long, and I want to save out a separate clip of 12:25 to 15:42 minutes only.  I would prefer a Linux package, but something that will run on MacOS would work, too.

Here is what I'm trying to do -
My girlfriend's band was on a local TV show, and the format of the show is talk a little, play a song, talk a little, play a song, etc..  in reality, when it was filmed, they did all the talking in one block, all the music in one block, and they spliced them all together into the show.
Anyway, I have a .wmv of the entire 30 minute show, and permission from the producers to do whatever we want with it (yay!).  The drummer actually has a professional video production company, so he is going to work with them to get their original footage and do something a bit more sophisticated, but I've pulled a copy from YouTube, and I want to play around with it in the meantime :)

Does anyone have any suggestions for something that will let me easily chop it up into individual songs?

<begin shameless plug>
 Oh, if any of you want to see the show, it is here - it is very local, but entertaining:
The first two songs weren't the best audio-wise, but were not that bad - the song at 14:05 to 16:50 ("Robot Girl") is probably the best audio quality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om30Tvbr_zE

They also recently had a professionally done video created, and here is the link to it if you want to hear what they sound like in better audio quality - with some awesome production work done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSQw-GuR6ZU

Oh, my girlfriend (Sandra) is the one with the reddish hair/lightning bolt earings doing most of the vocals, and the band's name is Mary Tylosaur :)  Chuck, you met her at the SUSE Linux Days event a few months back.
</end shameless plug>

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to turn into an [OT] post in the end, but I couldn't help but share the youtube links.  Oh, and back to the main topic - any suggestions on the video software would be appreciated :)
--
Allen Beddingfield
Systems Engineer