[ale] Monitoring (Was "Todays trends")

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 14:51:12 EDT 2013

On Oct 9, 2013, at 1:15 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> Big Brother's background color was a simple and brilliant way to show overall health. Big Sister, the FLOSS BB rewrite, never managed to hit critical mass but made it to a 1.0+ release in 2006. BB is still around after being acquired by Quest (and now Dell has Quest it appears?) but is no longer "free". It never was FLOSS.

Big Sister never gained ground, and it didn't have the community support.

We're all with the original author "Henrik Stoerner" on the Xymon list.  Quest allowed him to keep one daemon unencumbered, he recoded everything from the ground up "the way I should've done it in the first place" and we're all a pretty vibrant, actively developing community now.

http://xymon.com

I introduce and install it everywhere I go, when allowed.  It just plain works, and as you say is simple and brilliant at the same time, completely extensible, and I can tell from 20 yards what my environment is doing.  Can't beat it.

--jms