[ale] Todays trends

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Oct 8 16:11:21 EDT 2013

On 10/08/2013 01:46 PM, Boris Borisov wrote:
> Back in mid 2000's when I was working actively on Linux servers my
> major tasks were related to settings firewalls, LAMP servers,
> networking, ISP user traffic management (today maybe irrelevant since
> users have unlimited traffic), Qmail servers etc. Every install had
> own hardware except VHOST sites and mail servers.
>
> I want to get myself up to date so please just number few of the new
> hot technologies used by Linux administrators.
>
> I assume these two are "hot": Virtual servers and cloud computing.

DevOps, CM-tools, monitoring, alarming, alerting
Nagios, Splunk, Cacti, OpenNMS, Puppet, Chef, CFengine, Ansible are a few of the
tools, but there are many others.

When deploying servers to a public or private cloud, can you scale from 5 to 500
servers easily with your deployment tools AND not be tied to a single cloud
provider?  Are the deployment tools another-mouth-to-feed or do they really make
things easier, reproducible, more secure, more flexible, idiot-proof?

OpenStack seems to be gaining traction in the Fortune 50 world too. They aren't
throwing VMware out completely, but they are looking to minimize that technology.