[ale] Todays trends

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 14:27:08 EDT 2013

Virtualization and "cloud" are the two big buzzwords. Virtualization is
actually useful all over. Cloud is good mostly as a fallback for either
internal failure or overload issues.

Data security is always a hot topic and more so now (Thanks Snowden!).

Storage systems are always an issue since no one seems to know what a
delete button is used for :-)

After that it's web scripting flavor of the month (perl seems to be not on
that list any more yet it's still rock solid; Python is still on the list
but ruby on rails seems to a hot one for now.

Sadly in desktop land it seems most of the coders a really closeted Mac
fan-boys so the top two desktops are looking more like Mac-wannabes that
*NIX power user workhorses. (seriously - who gives a crap if a new window
"fades up" when it opens? looks 'cool' and eat resources just for eye
candy.)

Yet some desktop stuff is working better (I have multiple monitors and a
shared desktop space across all. If I maximize a window it will fill only
the physical screen it's on. Used to blow up and cover all screens.

Another hot Linux topic is routers. Cisco is not many peoples friend and
"not cisco" is a brand choice.

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Boris Borisov <bugyatl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Back in mid 2000's when I was working actively on Linux servers my
> major tasks were related to settings firewalls, LAMP servers,
> networking, ISP user traffic management (today maybe irrelevant since
> users have unlimited traffic), Qmail servers etc. Every install had
> own hardware except VHOST sites and mail servers.
>
> I want to get myself up to date so please just number few of the new
> hot technologies used by Linux administrators.
>
> I assume these two are "hot": Virtual servers and cloud computing.

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain