[ale] One for the perl hackers

Robert L. Harris robert.l.harris at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 19:04:10 EDT 2013

For the Curious,  Larry on Denver PM came back with this:

That line looks like a line you would get in a CSV file, so I would
handle it that way:

    use Text::CSV;

    my $line = 'component1,component2,"This is my, test string",
    component4';

    my $csv = Text::CSV->new;

    $csv->parse($line) or die $csv->error_diag();

    my @columns = $csv->fields();

At this point, @columns contains:

    $columns[0]:  'component1'
    $columns[1]:  'component2'