[ale] What would you like to see in an "Intro to Linux" Course

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Wed Nov 6 16:24:24 EST 2013

Leam:

Going with either an LPIC-1 or RHCSA would be a better choice IMHO (my preference would be LPIC-1 between the two as well).  LPI has an arrangement with CompTIA so that an LPIC-1 can get the Linux+ without much (if any) additional effort.  Same with Novell's CLA (Certified Linux Administrator; from the Novell SUSE days).  This is a bit more of a "cost effective" approach since I rather take one set of certification exams and then just "sign up" to receive the others versus pay more. ;-)

As for Linux certifications as a whole, both LPI and RedHat certifications do require "hands on experience" versus "other vendor certifications" in the operating system realm (who will remain nameless of course ;-) ).  No hands on experience, good luck on passing the exams.  I have yet to see someone pull a "paper tiger" with a Linux certification and successfully not only land a proper job, but also retain said job.

FWIW.

--- Crawford
PS: I receive this list in Digest format, so pardon any delays in responding in advance.

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA
voice:  +1.303.604.2550
web:    http://www.linux-etc.com

Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary.  Be friendly to the environment by saving paper.