[ale] What would you like to see in an "Intro to Linux" Course.

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 15:45:01 EST 2013

I agree. It really does require breaking out into the why of using Linux. A
student in CS will need to think differently than a home user tired of
virus's and wanting to reuse their existing hardware.

Various distros have release specialty version of their main release for
specific markets. Maybe those could be used as a discussion point for
teaching.

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Adrya Stembridge <adrya.stembridge at gmail.com
> wrote:

> That depends on whether that person would be using Linux for home or
> office use.  Each has its own sets of needs and challenges.  Home users
> want to play music, videos, possibly do some backups by connecting to other
> systems on the home network.  Some may want to game.   Maybe the home user
> is a musician and wants to explore DAW/music solutions in Linux.   Perhaps
> they are a budding filmmaker and are interested in seeing what Linux has to
> offer.
>

> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Derek Carter (aka goozbach) <
> goozbach at friocorte.com> wrote:
>
>> I've been toying with creating an intro-to-linux course and would like
>> to know what topics you would think would be best.
>> What would you want to learn if you had *ZERO* Linux experience?

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*