[ale] ale-chat announcement

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Wed Nov 6 13:45:07 EST 2013

First, let me say that I 100% support Jim's decision and position here. There is no reason that he should have to moderate/manage lists for something that is aside from the primary focus of the group and not of interest to him.
I would like to offer something that may help, especially since I am one who enjoys a good off-topic tech chat from time to time.
I have the server resources, technical ability, and time available that I could host a tech-chat mailing list for those of us who would be interested.  That would relieve Jim of having to support/moderate such a list, and would give us a place to yack away without cluttering up the Linux list with discussions about electronics, cars, non-Linux computing topics, etc...    I would be happy to host and moderate it on my own servers.  Common sense rules would apply - no flaming, fighting, insulting, etc...in other words, participants would be expected to act with common sense and civility toward each other.
If you are interested in participating in such a list, please e-mail me off-list.  If there is enough interest, I will set it up for us.  I think this would be a positive thing that would help to keep the ale list on-topic, yet would give those who have other technical topics to discuss a place to have such discussions.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from those who would be interested in participating.  Let's help Jim keep the list on topic and in use for Linux discussions only :)
Allen B.
--
Allen Beddingfield
Systems Engineer