[ale] [semi OT] encouraging and discouraging HDD and SSD observations

Michael B. Trausch mbt at naunetcorp.com
Sat Nov 2 04:54:45 EDT 2013

On 11/01/2013 11:25 AM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> In both my laptops, I have Seagate Hybrid Drives.  Each one has a 4GB or 8GB SSD cache layered on top of a spinning drive.
>
> I think it's a great idea.  They boot almost as fast as an SSD, but have large data capacities of 500 GB and 750 GB respectively but only cost about 30 % over an HDD.  I think the 750 GB one was about $ 130 a year ago.

As long as you never, ever store secure data on the device, or only do
so with strong encryption.

Otherwise, it is a *very* bad idea.

Keep the SSD cache separate from the HDD, and you have a means of secure
destruction of the HDD without worrying about internal SSD components.
Magnetic fields won't affect an SSD cache inside an HDD.

I am considering adding 100 GB of SSD to my 2 TB system... but you won't
catch me dead with hybrid drives unless they stop making real HDDs.

     --- Mike

--

	Michael B. Trausch

President, *Naunet Corporation*
? (678) 287-0693 x130 or (855) NAUNET-1 x130
FAX: (678) 783-7843