[ale] how to slurp the rpm juice

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Thu May 30 22:55:01 EDT 2013

Narahari,

With SuSE it is best to use Zypper to install to install the app. Yast
is good too, but zypper is best.  The only time I won't use Zypper
when you are installing something that in  one of the repos, such as
Skype or Google Earth.

Example of how to use yast to install rpm

http://opensuse.terrorpup.net/?p=290

Tomcat for SLE is at 6, like RHEL. If you are wanting to use Tomcat 7,
you will have to down load and install yourself, but keep in mind,
it's not support, because it not in the repo, but there are a enough
website on how to install.

One to keep in mind. Once you step out the repo and go your own, you
might in dependencies hell. Worse that being in Limbo.

http://www.rosehosting.com/blog/how-to-install-tomcat-7-jdk-7/

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:32 PM, Scott McBrien <smcbrien at gmail.com> wrote:
> There is such a thing as a drpm or Delta RPM, but don't do it.  Just repackage the vanilla plus your changes into a full rpm.  I would urge you, however, to go with the SLES tomcat and add an additional rpm with your changes.  That way you can continue to get updates and the like from SUSE and only have to maintain your extra bits.
>
> -Scott
>
> On May 30, 2013, at 10:20 PM, "Narahari 'n' Savitha" <savithari at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Friends:
>>
>> On SLES software is installed using rpm.  But then you can install the rpm with
>> rpm -iv or yast -i or even zypper (I am not that smart, answer is courtesy Allen)
>>
>> My requirement is this
>>
>> There is the base tomcat rpm provided on the web which is vanilla version.
>>
>> We have gone ahead and customized the tomcat with
>>
>> more jars in the  lib folder in addition to the existing jars from vanilla version
>> added thirdLibs folder under TOMCAT_HOME (/opt/apache-tomcat-7.0.37)
>> added axisLib under TOMCAT_HOME
>> added wsLib under TOMCAT_HOME
>> modified the .sh file under the bin folder
>> modified the props and xml files under the conf folder
>>
>> I am to build an rpm only of the DELTAS.
>>
>> Determining the DELTAS is itself a task-at-hand which I will have to resolve some how.
>>
>> Once I determine that I plan to .tar.gz that and create an rpm from it.
>>
>> creating rpm's is a diff question which I am already working on.
>>
>> Is there a higher level packaging than rpm  or that rpm is it ?
>>

>> Thank you for your time and attention.
>>
>> -N

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 7-9, 2013 in Charlotte, NC.
www.southeastlinuxfest.org