[ale] Linux technophile emergency tool kit

George Allen glallen01 at gmail.com
Wed May 29 15:33:32 EDT 2013

The army uses 6 and 8 foot grounding rods for our field systems, with
typically a ~1in copper braid for the ground conductor. No doubt this has
nothing to do with consttruction code, but buried in the Army FMs you can
find info on measuring ground impedance, which types of salts increase
conductivity better, etc. A short example:
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-binGetTRDoc%3FAD%3DADA311375&sa=U&ei=YVSmUZjfL5DW9ASFmoFo&ved=0CAkQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNE_6JWqeksQkXbJEl2za10QNbJ7XQ

I know good grounding makes a big difference with HF radio transmission,
and in avoiding electrocution if your running stuff like 60k generators. :)

But for the IT gear everything except laptops goes through UPSs, which are
also grounded.