[ale] Log parsing/alerting tool recomendations

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed May 29 14:49:32 EDT 2013

check this site for an idea:

http://www.w3.org/Daemon/User/Config/Logging.html

I find apache logs very easy to parse with many tools.

Another way to look at this is from the viewpoint of someone having to
understand why the apps are not working as they think they should. What
type of data would help?  At that point, the data type will usually dictate
an output format. And sysadmins _LOVE_ error messages like:

application foo received 0x120BAF02 at 0x33BD000001A1. Is this OK?

That is useless! Saw that (different addresses) during a Debian install
once. I thought my head would explode.

I've seen many java applications (java is a great drink and a country I've
never visited. It's a crappy language that should not be taught - grr) that
split up logs into sort of a user/admin general process, admin error, and
application error tracking. Each had a deeper level of details with very
long time stamps.

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM, Robert L. Harris <robert.l.harris at gmail.com
> wrote:

>   I'm working with a number of developers trying to create a logging
> standard for some apps and devices my company is developing.  Most of them
> are linux based and running syslog-ng so we have some flexibility and can
> standardize.  The big concern though is coming up with a format for the
> logs for the tools we will (may) be using to parse the data.  Personally I
> like the idea of using cmd line and piping unix utils.
>
>   A recommendation was thrown out though to ask about how others are
> parsing system and application logs to look for issues, tracking, etc and
> what kinds of input they take (json, xlm, .log, etc).  Anyone have any
> tools you're using that are just incredible and what kinds of input they
> can work with?
>
> Robert
>

> --
> :wq!
> Robert L. Harris
>
> DISCLAIMER:
>       These are MY OPINIONS             With Dreams To Be A King,
>        ALONE.  I speak for                      First One Should Be A Man
>        no-one else.                                     - Manowar

James P. Kinney III
*
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain