[ale] Linux technophile emergency tool kit

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Wed May 29 09:58:47 EDT 2013

I guess that over the years I just adopted a subconsciously ESD-aware
working style.  Like, if I'm about to put a card in a machine, I'm
holding the card by the backplate and I touch the case with the other
hand first so that me, the machine's ground, and the card's ground go to
the same potential.  Now, that is NOT a good practicewhen you are
dealing with higher voltages with higher currents available (e.g., tube
amps), which is why wrist straps etc. have a ~1M resistor in series -
perfectly adequate for discharging static but will tend to not put a few
mA across your ticker.