[ale] how do I properly move my home folder from ubuntu to mint

Doug Hall doughalldev at gmail.com
Tue May 28 12:15:26 EDT 2013

I need to update you on what my problem was with BackInTime. It turns out
that I just needed to change the user of the external backup drive to that
of the new user, with chown. The user names were the same, but apparently,
the user id was different than from the old system. I think I also needed
to ensure that I was not overwriting my BackinTime preference file with the
one from the old machine during the restore. Not positive on the last
issue, but it might have thrown things off. So, it seems to have been a
permission thing after all. I had to change the name of the external
computer in BackInTime's preferences, so that it would pick up the backups
on the former machine. Other than that, it was a fairly easy restore. One
thing that I did not figure out, was how to select multiple files/folders
at a time, when selecting what to restore. I didn't want to restore the
entire home folder, just the contents and *some* of the hidden files. I'm
not sure if that was user error or if the program interface itself was
lacking. BackInTime is pretty much just a graphical user interface to
rsync. It hard-links to files that have not changed since the last backup.
It also has the ability to clean out older backups at a predetermined
rate/time. You'd have to manually do this, if you used rsync.