[ale] Hard Drive data recovery services?

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+ale at betteradmin.com
Thu May 23 12:37:32 EDT 2013

If you wanted to try DIY, take a look at ddrescue.

There's also Spinrite, which costs money but so far it has worked really
well for me.  Some people don't like it because it writes back to the "bad"
drive and could make things worse, but I think that will mainly be an issue
if there is physical damage to the drive.

I would try to make an image using ddrescue, then you could try spinrite
and if it makes things worse, then you've already got the backup image.

❧ Brian Mathis