[ale] Hard Drive data recovery services?

Ted Wood wood at gatech.edu
Thu May 23 11:11:02 EDT 2013

On 05/23/2013 10:44 AM, Ken Cochran wrote:
> Heard good things of them too (Moulton).
> (Excellent) personal experience with Cherry, In Marietta.
> Evidently we're fortunate to have some *good* local choices.
>
> -kc
>
>> Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 10:20:38 -0400
>> From: Mike Ivey <miketech.jr at gmail.com>
>> To: Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org>
>> Subject: Re: [ale] Hard Drive data recovery services?
>>
>> I have heard good things about Scott Moulton's myharddrivedied.com. I have
>> not used him personally, but I have been to a few of his talks. This guy
>> really knows his stuff.
>>
>> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 9:56 AM, Pete Hardie <pete.hardie at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> ISTR that the topic of data recovery has come up before on the list.  Does
>>> anyone have recommendations for good places to get data recovered off a
>>> laptop drive?  The wife's laptop appears to have crapped out and she did
>>> not have the latest set of photos backed up
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>>
>>> Pete Hardie
>>> --------
>>> Better Living Through Bitmaps

I'll throw another +1 in for myhaddrivedied.com. Scott is a great guy
and he really knows his stuff. If he can't recover it, chances are it's
not going to be recoverable.

On a side note (and some may call me crazy) I've had good luck using
SpinRite (yes, the SpinRite from Steve Gibson of Security Now! fame).
Say what you will but I've used it on several occasions and had it get a
disk working well enough to read the data off to another medium. Scott
will tell you it's a waste of money and it might cause more harm than
good (in some cases this may be true) but I've had luck with it so I
thought it was worth a mention.

</$0.02>

--
Ted Wood <wood at gatech.edu>