[ale] Numbers 8 and 9

John Pilman jcpilman at gmail.com
Wed May 22 17:37:38 EDT 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 4:15 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

> On 05/22/2013 01:38 PM, leam hall wrote:
> > They have control of your off hours work? Obviously saying anything
> negative or
> > sharing corporate information is a no-no; but I didn't think any
> corporation
> > could control your off hours time.
>
> Employers have been having employees sign agreements for years that may or
> may
> not be legal in any specific jurisdiction.  Laws in GA changed in the last
> year
> to make employers have more say than employees thanks to uninformed voters
> (IMHO).
>
> Whether any company will fire someone over release of general information
> or not
> is something each person will need to decide.

I see these two aspects of work as fundamentally different.  In the first
case, an employer does not need an agreement to fire an employee.  The
employer can fire an employee for no reason whatsoever and is usually
better off than if they give a reason.  In the second case, a former
employer can prevent someone from trying to earn an honest living. Yes,
that is the law in Georgia made stronger last year.

I was recently presented with a non-compete agreement to sign along with a
number of other key employees.  My approach was to amend the agreement to
exclude customers and skills I had before joining. My approach did not work
because some of the others were more straightforward and had the company
withdraw request completely.
...John