[ale] FW: SUSE Linux Days 2013 kicks off this May!

Chris Ricker chris.ricker at gmail.com
Fri May 17 09:04:08 EDT 2013

On 5/15/13 9:49 AM, Beddingfield, Allen wrote:
> As a sanity check, just be sure that what you need can't be better served by a traditional solution such as VMware VSPhere, Citrix XenServer or KVM/Xen on Linux + shared storage.  We are a university of over 30,000 students, and we still don't have a cloud deployment (shhh...don't tell the SUSE guys, I've already heard the sales pitch!). We are using VMware VSphere primarily.  Part of that is due to the fact that we don't really want non-IT people haphazardly provisioning new servers :)
The counter-argument is that the non-IT people already are doing that --
you just don't see it because they're doing it on Amazon or RackSpace or...

If you deploy a private cloud that's easy for them to use, you at least
get a measure of control / visibility over that (though in university
environments often-times you're better off NOT knowing what your users
are up to :-)