[ale] Meeting topic for tonight

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu May 16 15:45:19 EDT 2013

Uh...  Sorry...  I have to call on this one...  I've run into this
before.

On Thu, 2013-05-16 at 13:22 -0400, Chuck Payne wrote:
> For those don't know who Scott Adams is ...

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Adams_%28game_designer%29

Actually, there seems to be this common misconception that Scott Adams
had something to do with the original Dungeon (better known as Zork) and
Adventure (Colossal Caverns or Colossal Cave Adventure).  I can't speak
too much toward the Dungeon / Zork side of the house but I can for the
Adventure side.  The original Adventure was done by Will Crowther and
later enhanced by many others, most notable Dave Platt, who did the 550
point version which I've played and completed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zork

Part of the confusion may lay in Scott Adams being very well known in
early PC game, plus he has several games with "Adventure" in the name to
his credit, plus the fact that "Rick" Adams maintains a well known site
about the Adventure game here:

http://rickadams.org/adventure/a_history.html

Adventure is still "somewhat" maintained.  I have the sources for Mike
Arnautov's 770 point version from 2003 which I have not completed.  It's
been ported to Android (it's in the Google App Store) and the Mac (and
of course to Linux and all forms of *NIX as well as DOS and C/PM /
ZCPR2) and even been recreated as an Astrisk dial plan / IVR (which is
truly frightening).  I thought I heard rumors of a more recent version
(>800 points) but I suspect that may be a myth as I haven't been able to
actually find it.

AFAICT, Scott Adams has had nothing to do with either Adventure or the
original early Zork series.  Just a common misconception.

Mike