[ale] FW: SUSE Linux Days 2013 kicks off this May!

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed May 15 06:57:57 EDT 2013

On 05/14/2013 09:22 PM, Scott Plante wrote:

> A lot was made about how hard OpenStack is to do on your own--has anyone on the
> list done raw OpenStack? What was your experience like?

About a year ago, we had a speaker from a company who had deployed over 100
physical nodes in a lab with OpenStack to see how it worked and learn about it.
Since that time, they've gone into production.  The Atlanta Openstack community
has monthly meetings ... there is a meetup group. I think they meet at Manuel's
Tavern.  BlueHost was well represented.

What I took from that talk and a few other conversations with the speaker - he
is a friend - is that for less than 50 nodes, the overhead for any "cloud
deployment tool" is just too much. It is best to stay with simple and straight
forward SAN+Net+hypervisor deployments then use something like Ansible or Salt
to manage setup and breakdowns.

Another friend at the same company doing Openstack has told me about their
puppet deployment.  Seems they followed what a vendor suggested ... sorta like
"nobody gets fired for buying IBM" and are not pleased.  They had problems
without puppet, now they have problems due to puppet that are only slightly
less. They are looking at Ansible and SaltStack, but at the scale they work, any
tool will be difficult to be happy using. It will be hard to switch from the
market leader due to politics.

On the subject of Atlanta areas meetups - there are groups for Java, Python,
Php, Ruby, OWASP, Web Design, Security, Startups, Giving back, Mentoring Kids
.... all related to computers.