[ale] FW: SUSE Linux Days 2013 kicks off this May!

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Tue May 14 21:22:58 EDT 2013

I went to the SUSE Linux Day today and it was very interesting. The major focus was around their suite of cloud technologies and it all looked very nice. Of course, it has a price tag to go with it! I don't have any problem with companies making money on their hard work, but I can say that without major discounts, it's well, well out of my price range. They do deal and it was list the were quoting, so possibly it could still happen. It's all built on open source technologies, including OpenStack. Their very nice tool for creating VMs, install CDs, PXE images, etc., has a free limited hosted version: http://susestudio.com/ . I actually used that a while back (1-2yr?) to create a "VM Appliance" version of one of our products, but no one seemed to be interested then in loading a pre-installed VM. I think our typical users had no idea whether any VM technology was being used in their organization, or who to ask about it, but that's another subject.

A lot was made about how hard OpenStack is to do on your own--has anyone on the list done raw OpenStack? What was your experience like? We tend toward making the free, open source versions of things work for us. Then again, maybe we'd make more money as a company if I didn't spend so much time playing admin and concentrated on my paid programming work ;-).

Thanks, Allen (and Jim Kinney), for the heads up on this seminar. Besides the interesting technical stuff, the lunch was very nice and I got to chat with some very nice and interesting folks :-D

Scott