[ale] NAS enclosure recommendations?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sat May 11 10:55:25 EDT 2013

Hi all,

This sounds like a consumer application so the following security issues may not be too pressing.  However, depending on the situation, physical security may be an issue; from kids (ie teenagers that want to play everything or toddlers that want to touch everything), pets, visitors, contractors, etc.

You may want a case where access to the physical ports and drives is lockable.  A closet or cabinet would also work with proper ventilation.

Also, while I haven't had experience with the high speed port options myself, I heard an interesting tidbit on the Security Now podcast.  Apparently both firewire and thunderbolt are dma access systems.  That means that anything plugged into one of those ports may be able to directly access and alter system memory, with the potential of inserting malware or reading critical data.  USB of any type does not have that problem.  I don't know about sata / esata.

Also, I've heard that esata connectors are notorious for being finicky and getting unplugged.

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Sincerely,

Ron