[ale] semi [OT] making learning ruby programming fun?

Michael Potter michael at potter.name
Thu Mar 28 21:02:39 EDT 2013

Ron,

+1 on learning SQL and Javascript in addition to what ever language
you are using.

PHP "having a lot of vulnerabilities" is because it is widely used.
They are not inherent in the language.  Being widely used is a good
for a person trying to get a job.  Also, all those vulnerabilities
need to be fixed by someone.

Here is my explicit recommendation from you based on reading your
posts for the last three years....

Start a blog and talk about all the things you learn.  Just repost
some of this things you have talked about on this forum.

Use wordpress/php for your blog.

Then you will have a reason to use php and you will learn it.

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 5:38 AM, Leam Hall <leamhall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/27/2013 11:34 PM, Doug Hall wrote:
>

>> If you want really fast programs, you might not want ruby. You might
>> want C or Java, or even assembly language. As fast as equipment has
>> gotten in the past ten years, in many instances, it makes sense to
>> optimize around the programmer, not the program.
>

> When I've used chef is was incredibly slow, even on modern hardware. That
> may be a big reason Chef move from Ruby behind the scenes to Erlang.
>
> Optomizing around the programmer makes sense for very small programs and one
> man shops. However, I think a lot of the language has to be ignored if you
> want to build something big.
>
> Java != Speedy Gonzales. There are some fast scripting languages but C is
> still the fastest cross-arch option.
>
> Hmm...
>
> Java: Slowpoke Gonzales
> C: Speedy Gonzales