[ale] semi [OT] making learning ruby programming fun?

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 05:38:06 EDT 2013

On 03/27/2013 11:34 PM, Doug Hall wrote:

> If you want really fast programs, you might not want ruby. You might
> want C or Java, or even assembly language. As fast as equipment has
> gotten in the past ten years, in many instances, it makes sense to
> optimize around the programmer, not the program.

When I've used chef is was incredibly slow, even on modern hardware.
That may be a big reason Chef move from Ruby behind the scenes to Erlang.

Optomizing around the programmer makes sense for very small programs and
one man shops. However, I think a lot of the language has to be ignored
if you want to build something big.

Java != Speedy Gonzales. There are some fast scripting languages but C
is still the fastest cross-arch option.

Hmm...

Java: Slowpoke Gonzales
C: Speedy Gonzales