[ale] semi [OT] making learning ruby programming fun?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Mar 25 22:09:09 EDT 2013

Hi Leam,

I hope you didn't take anything personal from my shying away from GO at this point.  I totally appreciate you bringing it to my attention.  I even bought a book on it.  Intellectually, I would like to learn it.  However, I can't wait 10 years for something to pay off.  I have to be generating revenue within 2, max.  That's why I decided to shift toward Ruby.

In terms of the domain, I still like the desktop application domain.  I want to be able to build something powerful that is capable of running on a desktop or tablet which is NOT connected to the internet, or is only intermittently connected.  I haven't bought into the running Word or Photoshop in the cloud yet.  However, I will admit that there has been quite a lot of progress in that regard.  A good example of a program like the kind I'm talking about is Sky Safari.  It's an astronomy program that lets me map the night sky on my tablet.  When I'm using it, the tablet is out in the middle of nowhere, where it's dark.  It's not connected to the internet.  The UI and database for the program has to stand on its own.

Unfortunately, none of the non corporate centric languages seem to great for this type of task, mainly due to UI limitations.

I have to focus on 1 language, other than the tradebot language I mentioned.  And just trying to do those two will be difficult and confusing.

Sincerely,

Ron