[ale] [OT] need help xp internal mon broken, ext mon inop

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 20:34:17 EDT 2013

Ron,

Well, if you have the disc and the license code, you can
always re-install (guaranteed cure for all Windows problems ;-) But then
that will probably want to use the primary display so probably won't work.
But, if you had a current backup you might try restoring that.

If you see the BIOS screen, you should be able to go into the BIOS and set
it to boot from a CD or USB stick so maybe UBCD4W would help?

Now if you had a delay set for how long the computer waits to actually
start loading Windows, you might be able to catch it and go into safe mode
and MAYBE you'd get your external monitor back in safe mode, but I doubt
it. If that did work and you knew which setting to change, which I don't
off the top of my head. The external monitor was probably auto-disabled
when the system booted and didn't find it.

Maybe a serial console, but probably that would have needed to have been
configured beforehand?

Best,
Greg