[ale] If you own (almost) ANY HDD, repartition with 4k boundaries

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Wed Mar 20 15:30:02 EDT 2013

On 3/20/2013 2:47 PM, David Ritchie wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Chuck Peters <cp at axs.org
> <mailto:cp at axs.org>> wrote:
>

>     On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM, David Ritchie
>     <deritchie at gmail.com <mailto:deritchie at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>         Repeat after me: Windows XP is an obsolete, unsupported
>         software system.
>

>     Technically it is supported until mid April 2014.  That being said
>     I have an nv4_disp BSOD issue with an old Nvidia 5200 card and I
>     am unlikely to see a driver update or MS update to fix it.  Too
>     bad my attempts at converting Mom to Linux failed.
>

> Supported meaning in this case "We will still be polite when you call
> MS about your XP problem, but unless you are a Fortune 50 company
> that is running into this issue, we can wait you out - and we might
> just do that even if you *are* a Fortune 50 company..."
> Unsupported, IMO. I don't think we are too far out of agreement
> here.... I would be doubtful there will ever be a SP4. Is MS doing
> any patches for XP today? Just curious...
>
> Best regards,
> David Ritchie

I just turned on an XP machine yesterday and it wanted to load patches.
They probably came out on the 12th though.  I wouldn't relish the
thought of trying to get this old beast to run with a 4K drive though,
although it might be possible.

Ron

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com