[ale] [OT] any experience with low self discharge NIMH batteries

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Wed Mar 20 12:02:05 EDT 2013

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013, Scott Plante wrote:
> Just a thought to throw out there--you wrote: "I'm going to stick with my old reliable proven technology for now"--have you
> considered supplementing with oil or kerosene lanterns? I'm with you on the LEDs for flashlights you carry around, but you never
> have to worry about oil discharging (like batteries) in the cabinet and the light is quite nice. Warm light, yet bright enough to
> read from, and many, many hours of light are easy to store pretty much indefinitely.

I have a flashlight fetish, I admit it. I must own 20+?
They are in my camper, truck, each car.. several in my house..
All of my caving lights.. Almost all are now LED source...
Even my huge "club", a 4D cell maglight by the bed is LED.

and yet, you make a point and it's why in my "Zombie Apocolypse Kit"
in the garage is a large really nice multifuel solid brass german (I can't
spell the brand) industrial-ish lantern with spare wicks and 2 gallons of
white gas. It'll also run gasoline, kerosene and I'm told with a little
mod-kit, even diesel (heavy parafin?).

I've used it exactly one time, when after the tornadoes that hit the area
we had 6 days without juice and a pot of chili was slow cooked with a
rigged up pot bracket over it.

I also store some lamp oil and lamps for the same reason.

Pretty useful, and worth remembering how well that thing works.