[ale] Good Linux laptops

Mike Harrison cluon at geeklabs.com
Sat Mar 16 09:20:09 EDT 2013

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013, David Ritchie wrote:
> One thing to always check on laptops is that the power jack is on a pigtail instead of being soldered to the motherboard - much easier to  fix when the power
> jack fails in the future.

I'm uber careful with my laptops and they last a long time in my care..
and yet you pegged the one thing I consistently have had to fix.
My beloved big Sony's was resoldered and the whole assembly is now
re-enforced with hot melt glue and acrylic resin. As I look around
at other laptops, the only one that does NOT have this issue is the
Macbook Pro with the magnetic connector. Kudos Apple for good design
and I wish other people were violating that patent.

Once upon a time, companies would license ideas that were good for the
industry for free or cheap.. A similar standardized connector for powering
laptops would be awesome.

Which, on my list is to make that thing boot/run Linux..
Sigh, so much to do.. so little sanity to do it with.
It may become my travel machine...