[ale] Good Linux laptops

David Ritchie deritchie at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 00:29:30 EDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 11:09 PM, David Tomaschik
<david at systemoverlord.com>wrote:

> Not sure if it's still available, but my work laptop is a Lenovo X220 --
> highly recommended.  In fact, my next personal laptop purchase will
> undoubtedly be a Lenovo Thinkpad.  (X or T series.)
>
> I currently run Debian on my personal laptop -- a Dell Latitude E5420, and
> it has a few quirks, but probably nothing that would be apparent to an
> everyday user.  (I have trouble with the ExpressCard slot, getting HDMI out
> to work the way I wanted took some tweaking.)

I had a Dell E6520 with my previous employer and it was a bit bizarre in
the way that the two video cards were used, and
it proved to be quite the PITA to get it work correctly with both cards
while in the docking station. ... and the keyboard was extremely cheap,
IMO. it did not leave a strong positive impression with me towards Dell
gear...

Levovo are good choices. I had a T400 that survived being flat dropped on
the Grady Hospital parking deck (fortunately it was off).

One thing to always check on laptops is that the power jack is on a pigtail
instead of being soldered to the motherboard - much easier to  fix when the
power jack fails in the future. Make certain that a service manual is
available that tells your how to get
the machine open to work on it. A quick way to check is to go to Ebay and
search for a power jack for the computer in question,
which will allow you to easily seen what kind of connector it is using...

Best regards,
David Ritchie