[ale] virtualbox and network ip's

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Fri Mar 15 13:09:36 EDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-03-15 at 12:07 -0400, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
> Hello:

> I run virtualbox on my windows 7 computer.

> I run two virtualbox machines at the same time(for two sep environments)

> Both are NAT.

> I do port forwarding for port 22 (from 28 on host to 22 on guest).

> The port forwarding software does not take ip but only the port.

> Pics are here.
> http://i.imgur.com/vyT51n9.jpg (first VM)
> http://i.imgur.com/Aqf4t6V.jpg (second VM)

> What I dont understand is why two vm's get the same ip from the Virtualbox
> DHCP server ?

Same IP in the VM?  Only reason I can think of is if they had the same
MAC address.  DHCP doesn't know or care anything about VM's.  It only
knows about MAC addresses and client ID's.  If both are the same, you
are going to get the same lease.

OTOH, if you are talking about the same IP for the different ports as
access from an external machine, I would have to say "well, duh...
You're using NAT.  So, of course, the external access only sees one IP
address."  You weren't clear from what perspective you are seeing the
"the same IP".

Forget the pretty jpegs that don't tell us anything.  What's the output
when your run this in a terminal window on each VM:

ifconfig

On the "Windows 7" host run this in a cmd shell:

"ipconfig /all"

> Kindly advise.

> -Narahari

Regards,