[ale] Fedora 18 & Libreoffice 4.0.1

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Mar 14 15:35:05 EDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-03-14 at 14:04 -0400, Scott Castaline wrote:
> Just installed Fedora 18 and tried to install LO 4.0.1. When I try to
> start LO I get the following error, no suitable windowing system
> found, exiting. Google only shows some really old complaints of this
> dating back to 2009. None of the fixes apply to these versions (Fedora
> or LO). I can run the version from Fedora's repo which is 3.6.x, but I
> want to get 4.x.x running I was able to run it on my Fedora 17 system,
> anyone have any other ideas?

How did you "try" to install it?  From Fedora Rawhide?  Another rpm
based distro?  A third party distro?  From source?  Other?

Did you have 3.6.5 installed and try to install from source over top of
it?  I find that generally doesn't work unless you match the configs and
patches carefully.

You might try downloading the SRPM from Rawhide and see if you can do an
rpmbuild on that.  Rawhide has already been forked for Fedora 19 so the
current RawHide for libreoffice indicates fc20.  It's here:

http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/source/SRPMS/l/libreoffice-4.0.1.2-4.fc20.src.rpm

I've had mixed success doing that with other packages.  Most of the time
they build fine.  Sometimes they build and sometimes you get into
dependency / version hell, but that tells you something if there's a
bunch of new stuff that's not in Fedora that it needs.  If it builds,
you can then install those rpms and see how far it gets you.

Regards,
Mike