[ale] Good Linux laptops

Don Kramer donkramer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 11:43:20 EDT 2013

Yeah I got my first System76 last week, a 14.1" Lemur Ultra laptop .... I
am enjoying it very much so far.  I have to admit I did max out the specs
(i7 with hyperthreading, 16GB RAM, and 512GB SSD) which came out a litter
under $1,300, the base config is $659.  The SSD is silent and have barely
had any loads on it yet that have kicked in the fan.  When there was a
question about my configuration (because I had changed it online after the
initial order), before shipout - the ENGINEER in Denver called me and got
my voicemail, left not only his extension but his cell.  So far very
impressed with the build quality as well as their customer service.

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Crawford Rainwater <
crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com> wrote:

> Take a look at System76 (http://www.system76.com) for Ubuntu on Linux
> systems including laptops.  The laptops are rebranded Sagers.  One of Linux
> ETC's consultants was able to put Gentoo on it including wifi (which was
> initially a little bit of an issue).  System76 was good at working with him
> to swap out wifi cards to something more Linux friendly across the board
> (vs. Ubuntu friendly only).
>
> The only personal downside I have with them is lack of the IBM/Lenovo
> "eraser style mouse" included on the UltraNav keyboards.  Then again, I
> have been using ThinkPads since the 755 series in the mid 90's so it is a
> bit of a habit of mine I admit.
>
> Some side note, they are also based in Denver as are we (Linux ETC that
> is). ;-)
>
> HTH.
>
> --- Crawford
>
> The Linux ETC Company
> 10121 Yates Court
> Westminster, CO 80031 USA
> voice:  +1.303.604.2550
> web:    http://www.linux-etc.com
>
> Please do not print this email unless it is absolutely necessary.  Be
> friendly to the environment by saving paper.

Don Kramer
donkramer at gmail.com - email / 404-213-7738 - cell