[ale] OT: Multi-core Utilization

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Fri Mar 8 11:33:04 EST 2013

My *practical* experience has a hole in it when it comes to developing
software to efficiently use multiple cores in a machine.

If I'm writing code in the likes of C++, Python, or Fortran
(acknowledging that I've got a range of programming paradigms there) and
let's say that I'm subtracting two 2-D arrays of floating point numbers
from one another element-wise, how is it that the operation gets blown
across multiple CPU cores in an efficient way, if at all?  Bear in mind
that if this is done in Fortran, it's done in a pair of nested do-loops
so unless the compiler is really smart, that becomes a serial operation.