[ale] HP BL460c G8 blades with 10Gb FlexibleLOM support?

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Fri Mar 8 11:22:04 EST 2013

Of course; there are a great many system builders, most on the West
coast, that can build you anything you want using the latest and best
off-the-shelf motherboards (e.g., Asus, Supermicro, Gigabyte) and CPUs
and do it in quantity.  The systems are minimalist; you build them *up*
to what you want.  Want big SAS RAID?  Add an SAS card known to have
excellent kernel support; keep the system vendor out of the equation
(reward the SAS card manufacturer for opening their specs!).

Practices like you describe here with HP and RHEL are what we wanted to
get away from when we foreswore Microsoft, Sun, IBM etc. because we got
tired of vendor lock-in; we valued our computing freedom.  This is not
computing freedom.

If you want to tell me that the HP/Dell/IBM servers have so many awesome
features that your typical Supermicro mobo doesn't offer, I will remind
you at what operational cost (stick) those features (carrot) have been
lashed to.  If you want to tell me about the importance of vendor
support of hardware, let me point out that while one waits for the local
subcontracted screwdriver jockey comes out with your replacement
motherboard (which you have to replace even if it's merely the onboard
RAID that's broken), one could simply instead be replacing the
motherboard on one's own using one of the spares you bought a handful of
because they were so cheap.  The interchangeable-parts paradigm that we
learned to benefit from at the start of the clone PC era (although the
basic idea goes back to Eli Whitney) is absent from most of modern IT
practice.

Do you want it to get so bad (again) that OSses can't be decoupled from
hardware?  Losing the benefits of Free Software and interchangeable
modular hardware - benefits that I was on hand to recognize and exploit
for a little while - are part of the reason why I got out of the business.