[ale] a quick test of web site stupid

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Mar 6 18:06:29 EST 2013

SEI and CMMI are the closest solutions for high-quality software. They have
certifications, but those have very little to do with producing software. It is
all about processes, methods and techniques.

I worked in a CMMI-5 environment design, testing and writing code for 5 yrs.
The process overhead was huge. Programmer "productivity" was about 20-100x less
than other development teams where I've worked.  7 levels of testing with most
of those performed by independent companies.  I am not certified in CMMI
processes, but perhaps working where I did for those 5 yrs makes me qualified in
some way? I dunno.

I also worked on a small team with 6 other extremely great cross-platform
developers. The quality of that teams' was just as high as the CMMI-5 team. The
productivity was as good as any other team that I've seen ANYWHERE.  The people
made the difference. They had extreme pride in their work and considered any
issue a huge problem to be fixed immediately. Memory leaks were sev-1 bugs
there. No QA, no automated testing, just people who were smart, good designers,
and fantastic cross-platform (10-ish platforms) developers.

Then there are all the other places and teams that I've worked spewing out crap
code then spending 50% of their time fixing that same crap again and again and
again.  I think this is the norm for the industry.