[ale] [OT] any experience with low self discharge NIMH batteries

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Tue Mar 5 00:04:44 EST 2013

Hi all,

A few months back, we had a thread here about new advanced LED
flashlights.  I bought one that has the giant 1/4 in LED inside, and is
bright enough to be competitive with an incandescent krypton bulb.  Love
the flashlight.  Works great.  However, it's powered by only 2 AA
batteries and they're dying 6 months later.  I'm considering using NIMH
rechargeables there.  The problem with that is that, left on the shelf,
standard NIMH batteries lose 10 % - 30 % of their charge per month.  So,
you could pick up the flashlight and not have it working when you need it.

Enter Low Self Discharge NIMH batteries.  These are relatively new.
They claim to lose only about 15 % of their charge after a year.  So,
you could get away with charging the flashlight batteries only every 6
months or so.

Two main brands of LSD NIMH seem to dominate.  Eneloop by Sanyo and
Imedion by Powerex (Maha Energy).  I've used some standard Powerex NIMH
2700 mah batteries and I like them, but I have to charge them if they've
been sitting a while.

Does anyone have any experience with the LSD NIMH batteries.  Is it a
good idea to use them in a flashlight, or stick with Duracells at $ 3 /
pair, or other alkalines?  I know Fry's and Home Depot / Lowes sometimes
sell batteries in packages at lower unit cost.  I haven't done a price
analysis on those.

Sincerely,

Ron