[ale] take a trip through your process list - hot pc

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Mar 4 23:49:41 EST 2013

Hi all,

I just picked up my laptop running Windows 7 and Firefox plus about 70
open tabs.  This applies to Linux too.  The bottom of the unit was so
hot that it was uncomfortable to touch.  The fan was running furiously.
The first thing I thought was ventilation.  The unit had been sitting on
some loose papers, so that might have had an effect.  I have speedfan
running to monitor temperature.  It's norm is 62 C and it was up to 75
C.  I removed all the loose papers.  Then, I looked at the cpu meter.
It was pegged at around 70%, and Firefox was the main culprit.  Probably
flash.  I closed Firefox.  The cpu was still sitting around 15 % with
nothing happening.  I loaded msconfig to see what was starting up.  On
Linux, you could use top, htop, or system monitor.  However, those only
tell you what's running, not what's in the startup sequence, as far as I
know.  I found a number of things in the startup sequence that I didn't
want there, like a Citrix app for the once in a year time that my wife
uses my computer, adobe reader quickstart, something related to
cyberlink dvd programs, a daemon for updating the firmware in my Sansa
mp3 player (which I've done exactly once and will probably never
repeat), and several items from the manufacturer of the pc, etc.  I
don't think anything is malicious, but, they're sitting there using cpu
time and electricity and creating heat.  I hid all the microsoft stuff
in the list, then unchecked all the processes AND SERVICES that I didn't
think need to be starting.  Be careful though.  You can break critical
parts of your system, like updates, or sound, or your touchpad.  I
rebooted and my idle cpu usage dropped to 1 % - 2 %.  Now that's more
like it.

So, the moral of the story is that it pays to look at your process list
occasionally and trim the fat.  The other moral is that it pays to keep
one eye on Firefox, especially if you have lots of tabs and especially
if you have flash or html 5 animation.  I did some reading in the past
that indicated flash could bring a mobile device's battery to its knees.

Sincerely,

Ron