[ale] SATA PCI card or external USB enclosures?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Mar 4 16:30:34 EST 2013

Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net> wrote:

>On 3/4/2013 12:45, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>>

>> Calvin Harrigan <charriglists at bellsouth.net> wrote:

>enclosures,
>have

>>> enclosure
>>> just
>>> case
>>> +1 for Vantec
>>> I have several, all several years old, none have failed to date.
>>>

>> Another PS.  If you use a sata-usb enclosure, you can connect via
>usb.  No PCI card needed.
>>

>I know, the Bytecc was a combo USB/SATA box.  But I was pondering the
>speed boost by going for SATA and moving the drive inside the machine.
>I'm still pondering the choice though I may just go with the external
>USB for simplicity.  The reason for the PCI card is because I have no
>SATA on my system so I would have to add on.

Hi Alex,

The fastest transfer I've gotten on an external USB2 interface is about 30 - 35 MBps.  According to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

The effective throughput for USB2 is 35 MBps.  In this case, the bus is being saturated.

With USB3, you get a throughput of 625 MBps on the interface according to the same article.

According to this article on SATA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sata

With SATA2, you get 300 MBps and with SATA3, you get 600 MBps.

HOWEVER, the drive is going to be your limiting factor.  I have SATA2 ports in my desktop machine and SATA spinning hard drives.  The fastest drive to drive transfer I've ever gotten is in the 75 MBps range.  So, with a spinning HDD, you could probably double your transfer speed by going to internal or external SATA or USB3.  If you had an SSD, which, choosing one at random from a magazine I have, reports read and write speeds in the 500 MBps range, you could saturate a SATA2 bus and come close to saturating a SATA3 or USB3 bus.

Sincerely,

Ron