[ale] Linux in 1 GB RAM

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Jun 27 10:47:46 EDT 2013

Hi Boris,

These may NOT be relevant but I thought I'd throw them out there just in
case.

1) Almost all new drives mfg after Jan 2011 have 4KB sectors (advanced
format).  If the OS is writing to the drive in 512 byte mode, it can be
much slower.  Google 4k site:ale.org for prior discussion on this about
a year ago and some more recently.  It shouldn't be a problem with
Ubuntu 12.04, but make sure your kernel is new enough to support 4K
sectors.  Some of the data discussed previously is specific to windows
but other parts are specific to linux as I run both systems.  You may
find some of the discussion on SSD's to be relevant too, since SSD's
have 4K sectors.  You can google ssd site:ale.org for info on that.  To
my surprise, I recently bought a WD 1TB Black drive and found that it
was not an advanced format drive, so the old style drives are still in
the marketing channel.

Your partition boundaries on a 4K drive should be aligned to 1 MiB
boundaries (or 2048 logical sectors).  This was discussed before.  You
can use the WD Align tool, which is a free standing self booting
program.  You can also use gparted, but don't use the one built into
Ubuntu.  Get the new gparted ISO from their website.  The one in Ubuntu
is obsolete.  Either of these programs can realign the partition
boundaries.  The procedure with gparted is a bit odd, since they use an
odd method for counting the space before and after a partition.  An
article was linked in the prior discussions that mentions this.

These links may help.  Lots of it talks about Windows but some is about
Linux.  The WD Align utility boots it's own OS, so it works either way.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5655
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5341
http://www.wdc.com/global/products/features/?id=7&language=1
https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_4_KiB_sector_issues (3 years old)

2) You could run a non destructive read write test on the drive after
mounting it as a second drive in the system.  sudo badblocks -nsv
/dev/sdb (or whatever).  This will take a long time to run but may find
some bad blocks.  The drive may actually run faster afterwards since the
controller has had a chance to evaluate the health of each sector.
Actually, I like to burn in a new drive by writing random data to the
whole thing then run a non destructive read write test (or spinrite) on
it a few times.  You can write various data patterns to the drive using
the destructive write test of badblocks or with dd or a utility from the
ultimate boot cd like copywipe.

3) You could have a bad sata cable or port.  Try a different cable and port.

4) Make sure the jumpers on the drive allow for maximum speed, either
3Gbps or 6Gbps as applicable.  Usually, this means no jumper.  Also,
make sure the jumpers are not set to alter the sector numbering or
activate some sort of older compatibility mode.  Again, usually, this
means no jumper, but you must read the label on the drive.

The user manual for WD sata drives can be found here, which provides a
(little) bit of useful info.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdretailkits&lang=en

Sincerely,

Ron