[ale] Cheap tablets?

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Jun 21 23:43:28 EDT 2013

Hi guys,

I couldn't resist posting this link to a 3.5" lcd display for $17 that
you could use with a raspberry pi.  I don't know anything about it, but
it looks cool.  I have a little anniversary money to spend.  May have to
buy a pi before the night's over.  Maybe Alex could use a pi and this
screen instead of an android tablet.  Of course, the price goes up as
you add wifi, power supply, case, memory, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/3-5-Inch-TFT-Monitor-Automobile/dp/B0045IIZKU/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1371870730&sr=8-31&keywords=raspberry+pi

Sincerely,

Ron

On 6/20/2013 8:46 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:

> Google on "all winner a31 10" IPS" for some fondleslab porn. $250 gets
> an no name iPad equivalent in android. No Bluetooth but quad-core arm
> and strong community work to get cyanogen on these.
>
> On Jun 20, 2013 7:26 AM, "Boris Borisov" <bugyatl at gmail.com
> <mailto:bugyatl at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Just don't buy the the one that I got. Has some sort of MIPS cpu with
>     no FPU slow and painful to work with. I would aim at generic ARM from
>     now on. Prices vary from $50 to $100 for no brand tablets. Post
>     details about this project.
>
>     On 6/20/13, Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net
>     <mailto:agcarver%2Bale at acarver.net>> wrote:
>     > On 6/19/2013 21:49, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
>     >
>     >> I like to run the Dolphin browser on my tablet, which is a bit more
>     >> full featured than firefox.  I brought up a similar thread several
>     >> months ago and there was some discussion about how to use the
>     remote
>     >> screen as an extension of your main one, but I don't remember the
>     >> title or the date.  Let us know how it works out if you get one.  I
>     >> carry my tablet with me where ever I go, so I haven't used it
>     for an
>     >> aux screen as you're discussing.  One other limit of cheap
>     tablets to
>     >> keep in mind is memory.  It probably has 4 gb of storage.  You may
>     >> run out of that quickly if you want to store photos, documents,
>     >> music, videos, audio books, or podcasts.  I'm probably using 25 GB
>     >> total on my tablet for some of those purposes.  If it didn't
>     have an
>     >> sd card slot in addition to the internal memory, I'd be toast for
>     >> what I use it for.
>     >
>     > I think you're misunderstanding my intentions.  It would not
>     carry any
>     > files or be used for storage in any way.  It literally would be
>     bound to
>     > the desk (or wall) never to move again unless the desk moves.  The
>     > intent is to have the various tickers and monitors running on a
>     browser
>     > on the tablet so that I don't have to run them on the desktop.  No
>     > extensions of the existing desktop (I do that already with the other
>     > machines using Synergy), it's just a place to dump the little things
>     > that don't need to occupy real estate, RAM, and CPU on my regular
>     > machine and its screens.  Given that it's a mini computer with a
>     browser
>     > and HCI, it's all that I need for a browser based ticker.  Right
>     now I
>     > have most of the tickers running on Firefox windows (one per
>     ticker).  I
>     > can rewrite them to all appear on a single page and let
>     Firefox/Chrome
>     > run on the tablet (later on I can write an Android application
>     to do it
> [...]

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com